Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Being deaf was the death of that dream.

I have a disability. I suppose I've always seen it as my quirk, and not really as a hindrance. I am deaf in my right ear, though unless you found it unusual that I tilt my head or stand on a particular side to someone most people wouldn't know until I mentioned it.

It's never affected me in my school life or employment. I've misheard the occasional instruction but it's always been quickly rectified and I am so accustomed to being deaf that it doesn't bother me often.

Until today, I didn't believe my four and a half senses would prevent me from seeking a job in the defence force, though I learned today that it does. I had considered it prior to applying, but because my left ear is perfect in hearing I assumed I would have no issue, though unfortunately this isn't the case.

I'd set my heart on joining in the last month, especially after the recent horrific events that forced me to leave my last job and question my decision to move to London. I knew I wanted to leave Perth, and start afresh in a new city, and beginning a career in addition seemed like the best way to do it - especially when that career consists of a range of traveling.

I was upset today when I learned I can't progress in my application, but now I've had some time to digest the news (along with having a lazy afternoon and buy a feel good from Wheels & Dollbaby), I'm coming to the conclusion that what is meant to happen will, and surely my luck will change soon. Everything that happens are steps to getting us to our overall plan I believe, so hopefully this plan will unravel soon.

For now, I'm going to make the most of my new job, and just see where the wind takes me.

No comments:

Post a Comment