Tuesday, June 7, 2011

"Throw Some Glitter On And Go Dancing." - Stee Andrews.

I adore my friends. Truly, I do. I also adore the fact that I can go months without speaking/seeing friends, not even know them extremely well, or not have to be constantly updated on their recent events to remain friends. I've caught up with a few friends over my long weekend, and it's been lovely to spend time with people I haven't in so long.

I suppose, to indulge in some arrogance, I have a lot of friends. I am the kind of person who will get along with a lot of people and I try hard to maintain friendships. Whether it's meeting for coffee once in a while or even just sending a text I think it's important to let people know you're still thinking of them. So many friendships seem to dissolve because people simply don't take a moment every so often to remind each other they still care. I've seen how easily we get carried away with our lives and ourselves as we get older; relationships, work, money all seem to pollute the simplicity of having good friendships.

What I adore about my friends is that they're all from different groups of people, whether I've met them at school, uni, work, or in passing. It's inspiring when I catch up with people who love to write as I do and have similar opinions on things, but just as enjoyable when I chat over a guilty pleasure like a TV show with others. I firmly believe we can't get everything in life from one person, and those who are real friends understand that. My best friend and I have an amazing friendship. We talk daily in some form, although she lives two hours away and we don't feel jealous if the other is seeing another friend.

I've had friends slip away, and as I'm growing up and have lost a few people that were once monumental parts of my late teens I'm really not phased like I used to be. People who are meant to be will stick around, and for my part I'll be myself, and that should be all that's needed for the right people for me.

If you can laugh, cry, drink, dance, lay around doing nothing and every inbetween with someone, I think that makes a good friendship. I think catch ups with friends whether they be occasional or frequent are what keeps us from drowning in problems. We all have rough periods, sometimes ones that will test our ability to go on, and it's the strength your friends remind you that you possess that carries you through. My friends have all managed to pull out my smile when I've needed to smile the most, made me laugh in the hardest of times. I love you all.

Friendships don't always have to be daily routines of contact, but remembering to reserve a moment of kindness when you see someone you know about, and giving each other something to smile about.

No comments:

Post a Comment