Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Resolutions and Realisations

Perhaps the attempt of creating New Year's resolutions is as important as having a brilliant New Year's Eve - and their similarities is that it nearly always disappoints us and for most, they're too difficult to retain. It's too easy to give up on dieting or exercise, or saving money, the usual kind of New Year's resolutions we strive to put in place with each year that creeps along, but by February/March or maybe even sooner we are give into temptations to break them.

Last year was difficult for my family, many of my friends and people around the world. We were gripped to the television when floods, earthquakes and other natural disasters damaged the land and lives of so many; watching on helpless and in awe.

Myself and my family shared our times of torment, my friends endured tragic times that were too much to handle. We lost Kaine Bell, forever 19 and forever remembered for his bright smile and gentle nature. Through it, however, our support for each other only strengthened our bonds.

I think we invest too much in resolutions shaping the New Year and therefore, improving the last. While to an extent we can seize control of our lives, fate sweeps in and dominates the future.

Last year I wrote that adulthood brings tragedy closer to the surface of our perception; we are no longer sheltered from the world by our parents and instead are learning to protect younger generations from sadness. In its bittersweet nature, that was my biggest lesson last year. Stripped from my plans and at times, struggling to cope with the challenges my family and friends were confronted with, we fought back.

I've decided against New Year's resolutions this year. The only one I have in mind, despite my knowledge that I have little impact on life's decisions, is that I'm going to try to make this year better than last, and with the friends and family that have continually given me their love and support, I'm sure it will be better.

No comments:

Post a Comment